Wednesday 15 September 2010

A Summary of Summer Part I

Since I only began writing this blog page just over a week ago, I thought I should attempt to summarise some of the hikes and climbs done over the summer months.
In truth I'm stretching the boundaries of the word summer quite a bit, as I'm going to begin this post by including a very snow covered February.

Tuesday 9th February - Beinn Luibhean



After several failed bidding sessions on ebay, I finally managed to get my hands on some La Sportiva Nepals which I was determined to get some usage from before the snow cleared. Waking up on Tuesday morning I was greeted with great conditions, beautiful blue skies and still plenty of snow on the hills from the weekend's blizzard.
Nothing too strenuous in mind I headed for the Arrochar Alps, not sure which hills to tackle, I was just going to see how I felt when I got there.
Not long after setting off from the car park at Succoth I realised that breaking in boots on flat ground doesn't quite cover all potential problems. I've never really had much trouble with blisters in the past, so was quite alarmed to find that the top of my right heel was being rubbed raw.
Almost at the Alt a' Bhalachain I knew I wasn't going to be able to favour my foot for much further, so decided to head back down to the car for a change of boots. On scrutinisation, I discovered that the previous careful owner of said Nepals had worn what can only be described as a mini corrie into the rear of the boot, just above the heel. Easily fixed with cotton wool and gaffer tape, if I had them with me. I didn't, so on with the trusty Raichles.
I decided to drive up Glen Croe to the Rest and be Thankful parking area. In order to make up some lost time, I began a direct ascent of Beinn Luibhean. A boggy start soon led to some very steep terrain, and in no time I was up among the snow.





The surrounding scenery was amazing on such a crystal clear day. I found myself stopping more often to take in the views rather than to hydrate and catch my breath.
The rewards on the summit (858m) were well worth the pain in my  heel. I contemplated heading across the Bealach a' Mhargaidh to Beinn Ime, but had to remind myself that it was still February and I'd be losing the light quite soon. Knowing I was going to have a steep descent via snowy ground to my car, I opted to make tracks down my original ascent route. As the sun dissapeared behind the peaks and the temperatures dropped, I was glad of the relatively short walk in.










Saturday 27th February - Ben Lomond




A 9.30am start for this meet with the GWHC. There was quite alot of snow during the week and forecasts warned of more over the weekend, so I went along prepared for bad weather, or so I thought.




Heading up the path from Rowardennan got us warmed up quite quickly and by the time we stopped at the gate before the Ardess burn to bunch up, most were tearing off outer layers. Looking up towards the Ben, it was still covered with cloud, but it seemed like the sun would soon be out to evaporate the remaining mist.
At the burn we were surprised to meet some people heading back in. They advised us that the snow on the next section had just been too deep.





We carried on to find that the snow was indeed getting deep, but not so bad that we were going to be put off. As we got up onto the Sron Aonaich shoulder the conditions deteriorated. Wind was now cutting across us from the northeast and was whiping up alot of powdery snow.





Extra layers were required once more and we continued on to the steps of Sithean. Wind was now getting stronger and new snowfall was making visibility more difficult.





Crampons now on and the going got really tough, especially with such poor visibility. It was at this point I realised my goggles had been left on the dining room table! Not only could I hardly see, but snow was being whipped off the ground into my eyes and beginning to sting quite a bit.
Finally we were on the ridge of the Coire a' Bhathaich and heading for the summit. Snow was up to our waists by this point and trudging over this section was rather precarious. I had to let Steve guide me along the ridge here as my own visibilty was next to useless.
We got up onto the summit which cheered us all up momentarily. Everyone lined up for a few team snaps at the trig point. (Pictures taken here needed to be enhanced otherwise all that would have shown up would be snow.)





We originally planned to descend via the Ptarmigan Ridge, but the conditions were so bad that we all agreed to head back the way we had come. Not wishing to hang about any longer we set off along the diminishing tracks made on the way up.





Getting to lower and sheltered ground became a priority. Steve who has climbed Ben Lomond 16 times over 20 years said it was the worst conditions he'd seen and deepest snow he'd ever encountered.
We made it off the ridge and managed to find a reasonably sheltered piece of ground to sit down and take on some fuel. Everyone looked quite frozen, but compared to what we had just faced it was a relief to get a rest.





I took the chance here to remove my crampons. I could see the next section of descent although steep, had some good snow and I'd be able to fashion a controlled bum-slide. Like many fashions, this one quickly caught on and pretty soon those who had taken off their crampons were joining in the impromptu sled race.











Some like Rick joined in involuntarily! Good giggle to see the seasoned pros take a tumble every now and then.
Glad to say everyone got down safely and in good spirits. Two main things I learned from this day was never forget my goggles, and never take even the so-called easier Munros for granted. They can still through everything at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment